Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hello I own a resturaunt in Ames, Iowa. Recently I have

I own a resturaunt in Ames, Iowa. Recently I have had a company called College Tokens, running online coupons for my resturaunt, using my logo. These are set up as text message coupons, for anyone to download. I contacted them and asked them to take me off their website, since I had never agreed to run an add or had even heard of them until someone came in to the resturaunt and tried to use one of their coupons. There response was that the coupon has an expired date and so it's just a way to show me how I could advertise.
Well, on my request they took me off. However they put me back on using my logo and a new expired coupon.

Please let me know what recourse, if any, I have.

Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You have the right to sue them for breaching the trademark and copyright of your logo and if you have not legally registered your trademark or copyrighted it, you still have common law rights and can stop them from using the logo, but if it was not a registered mark you just cannot get the damages provided under the copyright laws or the Landham Act for trademarks. You can also, as part of your suit, get an injunction to prevent them from using your name or logo in the future.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX also wondering, if they do not use my logo, but continue to make a fake coupon using the name of my resturaunt. Then what recourse do I have
You have the same right to stop them from using your name, since it would be seen as likelihood of confusion with your buisness and can impune your reputation.