INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

Good morning. I havea Futon Store and dont know laws for flyers

Good morning. I havea Futon Store and don't know laws for flyers distribution. Can you please help me with that? Can I leave my fliers in buildings? Can I drop them off in private houses? Can I glue them on a bus or train stops? .... And etc. Thank you very much.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You can do none of the above. You can advertise in newspapers, have e-mailing listing and mail listings with customers vountarily sign up for, and can have someone handing out flyers to passers by.   
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about the posters under the doors of private houses? Could you please tell me what will happen if I will do all the flyer distribution that is illegal? I get the fliers under my door often, what can I do about it as a consumer? Please, tell me more regarding flyers.
Thank you.
The distinction here is trespass and unsolicited mailing and distribution. If you get people to sign up or consent, it is legal.   If you are caught, you could be fined and even imprisoned. many buildings use security cameras to deter and capture such practice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last time I asked you something you gave me the full chapter of laws regarding my question. Are there any written laws for the advertising, so I will know it in advance?
§ 140.05 of the New York Penal Law forbids trespass and that would include the conduct herein.