socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am a New Jersey licensed agent. I had been with my broker

Customer Question

I am a New Jersey licensed agent. I had been with my broker for approximately five years. I decided to transfer my license to another brokerage on April 1, 2009. I owed my broker approx. $4,200.00, to which he added a two month desk fee for not giving him two months notice, in addition to other fees which took my balance up to $6,000. He tried to get me to sign a promissory note for the balance that owed to him but I refused. I left on the last day of March, so I have been gone for 3 months. I just received an email billing statement from him, charging me a $150.00 late fee for each month and interest for each month since I've left, all totaling approx. $856.00, which has taken the balance owed up to $7,016.00.

Is this legal and is there anything that I can do about it? I am currently with another Broker, however, I have not had a closing since October of 2008 and my husband has been unemployed since November of 2008.

Olga Goffney
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Your relationship with the broker is entiely controlled by any contract that you signed when you went to work in the office. If you agreed to two month's notice re the desk fee, then you're liable for it.

If you agreed to interest and late fees, then you may be held liable for them in court. If not, then you can't -- simple as that. See e.g., Payroll Express Corp. v. Marshall & Sterling, Adv. Proc. No. 98-8405 (U.S. Bankr Ct., SDNY 2005).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.