Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am a CA licensed general contractor. I have a framing job

I am a CA licensed general contractor. I have a framing job for a home addition that I started in November of 2008. The homeowner and I entered into a contract for the addition and to rebuild the roof on the existing house. Periodically, I had taken draws from the job for progress bills I submitted to him to cover expenses and payroll. Demo was not included in my contract which was to be done by others. I pulled off the job at their request in January so they could do the demo of the existing roof. Three weeks ago, the homeowners called to let me know that they were finally ready to have us come back the following week and do the roof work on the existing home. A couple days later, they called again to notify us that they were going to do the work themselves.

I have a signed contract and they claim that nothing is owed to me. What, if any, are my legal rights?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the homeowner cancels the contract, you have a right to sue for breach of contract. You can expect to recover your profit and possibly attorneys fees associated with collecting what you're due under the contract.

My suggestion is to speak with an attorney in your area about pursuing this matter.