J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

I own a business and someone has not picked up their work for

I own a business and someone has not picked up their work for over 4 months, A sign posted in my business states all work not picked up in 30 days will be charged 3.50 a day storage and after 60 days items will be sold for storage.The customer didnt like the way the item was repaired so they refuse to pick it up. What are my rights as a business owner? does my sign hold water?
What state are you located in?

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The deposit of the goods for you to service is called a bailment. You have the responsibility to care for the goods while under your control. The owner has the responsibility to pay you as agreed and to recover the goods when they are ready and under the terms of your agreement.

You stand on pretty firm ground as long as polishing is considered standard in your industry to be included in "cleaning". As long as that is the most reasonable an logical interpretation of the services you contracted with the customer to provide, then the customer is obligated to pay you for your services and pick up the goods when notified.

If the customer does not pick up the goods when notified, then the goods can be considered abandoned. Your sign indicating the actions you would take with abandoned property is reasonable, as long as you can show that you tried to notify the customer and provide them a reasonable time to pick up the property after that notification. I would also make sure to inform them of the repurcussions of not picking the goods up on the stated time period.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.