JPEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Experience as both in-house and outside counsel in general business and transactional law
14397910

I have a question on property discrimination statutes. I had

I have a question on property discrimination statutes.
I had sent an email to The Incorporated Village of East Hills which owns East Hills Park.

(Website: http://villageofeasthills.org/park_news.html)
(Park History: http://www.antonnews.com/roslynnews/2003/10/17/news/)

I asked about a July 4th fireworks event that they planned to have at East Hills Park in NY. I live in Port Washington, NY which is near East Hills.
The email below was there response. It indicates that since I live in Port Washington that I was not a resident and that therefore I must be a resident or guest of a resident to be allowed to attend the event.
My question is are they legally allowed to have an event and ban non-residents from going?
Thanks,
Robert Cohan
[email protected]

In a message dated 6/30/09 9:22:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Mr. Cohan,
The Park at East Hills will be holding a firework show on Saturday night.    However, you must be a guest of an East Hills resident to into the park.
Thank you for your interest in the Park at East Hills.
Bill
William J. Gavin, CRSS
Park Director
The Incorporated Village of East Hills
209 Harbor Hill Road
East Hills, NY 11576
T: (XXX) XXX-XXXX
F: (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Yes, totally legal. Every gated community in America bans non residents from entering the development unless as a guest of a resident.

The property is private property and they can have whatever rules they want, as long as the don't violate civil fair housing rights (for example, the couldnt make an all white subdivision).

I know this is not what you hoped to hear, but just try to be honest and give it to you striaght, rather than just tell you what you want to hear only for you to be disappointed later.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was fairly sure that it was in fact legal but I wanted to be 100% sure which is why I wrote to you. I accept your answer and thank you for your time.
No problem, good luck