Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I am a subcontractor installing DTV satellites. The company

Customer Question

I am a subcontractor installing DTV satellites. The company I am subcontractoring for has started charging me back on things that are out of my controll, such as hooking up phone lines, they actually can double charge me back for this one thing. When they charge me back they never give me a chance to fix a problem, and never tell me who and how anyone fixes the problem, they just tell me how many charge backs I have and the total. What are my rights concering charge backs by a contractor?

XXXXX XXXXX
Morgan's Installations
Sneads, Florida
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.
Have you reviewed your contract carefully? Does your contract state for what things you may be charged back? This is primarily a question of contract, what did the parties agree to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no written contract with the contractor. They have started charging me back for non phone lines hooked up, even when the customer has no landline phones. On the paper work I have the customer sign, it is checked off as no phone lines at time of the install. They also charge back for other things such as equipment that is supplied by the company. I read there is federal law protecting us subcontractors against charge backs, and when they do they have to list what the charge back, give us time to correct it, if possible, and tell us what was done to fix the problem they are charging us back for.
I am not familiar with any federal law that applies to contracts other than those with the federal government. You may be charged back where no phone lines are installed because in the fee for installation it contains a payment for phone lines. Do you receive a flat fee for installations? If the equipment the company supplies is generally supplied by the contractor, they may have a basis for charging back because the fee they pay assumes you will supply the equipment. Is the equipment you are being charged backk for generally owned by the subcontractor and not supplied by the company?