Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

I was approached over the phone to subscribe to a magazine

I was approached over the phone to subscribe to a magazine subscription. The salesperson read different terms of the contract to me over the phone and I agreed to them. After a couple of months into the contract I wished to get out of the subscription but was told I couldn't and I would have to pay some $900 to get out of the subscription that lasted more then 1 year. Is this a violation of Statute of Frauds on account of the length of the contract and amount?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Did you get anything in writing from them after speaking with them on the phone? Any confirmation?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't receive anything in writing, they just started sending the magazines.
Then you are absolutely correct.

You are responsible for payment for the magazines you have already received (on the theory of quasi-contract and avoidance of unjust enrichment on your part), but since there is no contract for the sale of goods, and the value of the goods is more then $500.00, the contract is invalid.

Next time you speak to them, cancel all your obligations and then send them a certified letter to that effect. Ask for an accounting for the magazines you have received, send them a check for that amount, put "paid in full" on the check, and your obligations are over. And of course, keep copies of everything.

Good luck!

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.