socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have an 457b retirement account with my emloyer wich is a

Customer Question

I have an 457b retirement account with my emloyer wich is a local gov. I have lost almost everything exept for about 1800$ and they say I can't get any of this money unless it is a hardship is there any way to pull my money outrite ?
[email protected]
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Needing money for a house won't qualify as an emergency. IRS "qualified" accounts have specific rules that were...well, "qualified" by the IRS. Any variation from the plan rules invalides the plan and holds the employer liable for the deferred taxes for every dollar in the plan. So, the plan administrator will not accommodate you without a true emergency (heart surgery, etc.).

If you want to know exactly what sort of emergency will qualify, you'll have to read the plan documents.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.