socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I verbally told a friend of mine, whom owns the bank, when

I verbally told a friend of mine, whom owns the bank, when he agreed to give me a loan, that if I couldn't pay it, he could have my 66 mustang. I still hold the title and am paying payments, not whole payments, but paying none the less. Can he legally take my car?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

In order to take your car by repossession, the lender must have a written agreement confirming your consent to the possessory lien. Also, the lien must be perfected by registering it with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Your friend's legal recourse is a lawsuit for default on the loan, which would entitle him to a money judgment, which can be used to garnish or execute on your nonexempt assets, such as the vehicle. But, the outcome would be that the sheriff would sell the car at public auction in order to pay off the judgment.

The only way that your friend could get your car via an involuntary legal process would be to win that auction.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.