Ask GWarren For Business & Nonprofits...

GWarren For Business & Nonprofits
GWarren For Business & Nonprofits, Attorney
Experience:  30 yrs Counsel, AVP Corp Governance Fortune 100 finance/ins, Nonprofit Bds, law firm. OH NJ license

I am a member of a 501c3 organization. May the chairman of

I am a member of a 501c3 organization. May the chairman of this organization disallow persons from attending board meetings as a guest? This person is not a member of the organization but is responsible for obtaining grants for us. Also, may the chairman disallow another board member from attending outside meetings with others such as contractors, or regulators?

ES
Category: Business Law
Expert:  GWarren For Business & Nonprofits replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting justanswer.

1. Unless the bylaws of the 501(c)(3) organization provide otherwise, as to who may attend board meetings (which is unlikely to be addressed in most bylaws or in the bylaws addressing the responsibility of the board chair), typically who may attend board meetings of a non-profit organization is within the discretion of the chair and executive director (and board members) of the organization. Certainly the board may direct otherwise by resolution.

The chair may decide, for example, that attendance of non-board members at a board meeting may inhibit appropriate board dialogue and preclude outside attendees. There may be other justifications as well from a governance perspective. Invited guests to board meetings are typically associated with particular agenda items rather than being privy to board discussions. The chair would appear to be within discretion as to how the meeting should be conducted. I am providing a direct link to board governance for non-profits that may offer further guidance from the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals that is available to download:

http://www.governanceprofessionals.org/society/Nonprofits.asp?SnID=2

2. Whether the board chair can disallow board members from attending outside meetings with others is not as clearly a matter of the chair's discretion. Conflict of interest would be the controlling issue as to each director's duty of care and duty of loyalty to the non-profit organization. Absent a conflict between the board member's role with organization and the contractors or regulators, there would appear to be no proper basis for the chair to disallow board members from attending those meetings. I am presuming that board members are volunteers and the control the board chair can exercise over other board members is limited.

I hope this is responsive to your question. If you would like further clarification, please let me know.
Experience: 30 yrs Counsel, AVP Corp Governance Fortune 100 finance/ins, Nonprofit Bds, law firm. OH NJ license
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This site is rather vague as far as payment. I think I should be aware of what you will charge me before I accept. How do I know you are not going to charge my credit card thousands of dollars??
Thank you for your reply. Your concern is certainly appropriate due diligence.

Your deposit commitment indicated, if you click Accept to honor my time and answer, is limited to $9 (customers indicate various values for questions and that may appear vague) (unless you add a bonus for the answer). Please contact Customer Service for justanswer by clicking "Help" at the bottom left center of the screen if you have any concerns about security of your credit card payment, charges, or any other issues you would like addressed as I certainly do no want you to feel uncomfortable about the answer services I provide as a professional. I appreciate your consideration.