Ask GWarren For Business & Nonprofits...
GWarren For Business & Nonprofits
GWarren For Business & Nonprofits, Attorney
Experience:  30 yrs Counsel, AVP Corp Governance Fortune 100 finance/ins, Nonprofit Bds, law firm. OH NJ license

What are the steps to start a for profit social club I would

What are the steps to start a for profit social club? I would like to start one in New York.
Thank you
Thank you for contacting justanswer.

Social clubs can be an effective way to network, share and exchange ideas, hobbies. In addition to providing specific legal steps that may help you establish a for profit social club, below are two public domain websites that specifically discuss steps to form a social club and ways to advance it (you may also want to benchmark other social clubs in New York, viewing their websites and assessing their clubs to determine best practices for your club):

1. A corporate form in New York will be an appropriate way to establish a for profit organization and protect you and other owner/members from personal and activity liability that may be related to the social club. A link is provided below to enable you to form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) as a convenient corporate form for your club.
2. Articles of Organization that will serve as the governance document (or bylaws) of the social club would typically provide for who the member/owners will be, the roles and responsibilities of officers of the club (president, secretary, treasurer), dissolution of the club (LLC) at some point in time and other organization issues related to the social club (LLC).
3. Depending on the number of member/owners of the LLC (there may be one or many), you may develop a board (or also advisory groups) that will guide or govern the social club. The board will typically establish rules and regulations for the social club.

Following is a direct link to the New York Department of State Division of Corporations on how to form a Limited Liability Company in the state for your social club:

How to Start a Social Club:

You may also find it helpful to contact SCORE, Counselors to America's Small Business at for the free face to face or online small business services it provides. SCORE can assist you in developing start-up arrangements as well as a business plan to advance the efforts of the social club.

I hope the above is responsive to your question. If you would like further clarification, please let me know.