N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983

Can an artist who offers private and group lessons to children

Customer Question

Can an artist who offers private and group lessons to children have unpaid volunteers help with clean up and passing out supplies to students in CA if they are not a 501 C?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am an artist with a private art studio in California. I have a business license but am not incorporated. I offer private and group art lessons to both children and adults and have serveral parents and older students who have asked to volunteer at my studio to help with passing out supplies and materials, cleaning up, and provide limited clerical support working on my newsletter.

Since I do not have a not-for-profit status I want to know if I can have unpaid volunteers work at my studio.

Yes there is no law against people wanting to help you doing so for free on a completely voluntary basis.

I understand artists sometimes attract groupies or people who are interested in learning about art or just observing and there is no law against people helping you operate your studio and classes.

I would just make sure that the studio carries liability insurance in case one of the volunteers (or students) slips and falls and suffers an injury.
Thank you for accepting my answer.