skelly151, Attorney
Experience:  JD 20 years legal experience and 3 business related trials, licensed in OH, DC CA

i am a whole seller of a novelty product (patent pending).

i am a whole seller of a novelty product (patent pending). i would like to recruit distributers world wide, but prevent them from mimicking my product and competing with me in the future.

can i oblige a potential distributer to sign a "non-compete agreement"? or is it only for employees?

in addition to a patent writing, what is the best way to prevent future competition?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  skelly151 replied 7 years ago.

Patents are your superior way to protect he product but you can have a independent contractor sign a nondisclosure of the product or its design in order to work with you. The non compete is to prevent them from working for others and taking customer lists etc. so you really want a non disclosure of product information and or trade secrets.