J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

I owned (1/2) of a business, my partner assaulted me by throwing

Customer Question

I owned (1/2) of a business, my partner assaulted me by throwing hot grease (2nd% burns). I have most of the equipment in the business. Went to get my stuff with the law and a letter from her Lawyer, She refused to let me get it .the locks on the building is changed, however my name is XXXXX XXXXX the lease. My question is can I file grand thief and can the business stop operating until everything is done.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
The problem with filing criminal charges is that it takes the matter out of your hands. It's always up to the local prosecutor/DA as to whether the person is charged and prosecuted or not. Still, you can file the complaint and keep your fingers crossed.

I would also file a civil suit against the person for conversion (civil theft), breach of contract, and fraud. You can seek a temporary restraining order to prevent the business from operating and the equipment from being used or to force your access onto/into the premises. You are more likely to get speedy satisfaction by going after the person yourself.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questons.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.