socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Small RI Corporation in dispute with SEC. 1 Can the owner

Small RI Corporation in dispute with SEC.
1 Can the owner of the Company represent the Corporation in Court? If not is there a process where the Owner could File a Motion granting approval for the owner to represent the Corporation
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

No. The right to represent oneself in court extends only to "natural persons." "Legal persons," such as corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs, etc. must be represented by an attorney at law.

There are exceptions for appearance before a government agency. So, were you appearing befoe the SEC, you might be able to appear without an attorney. Also, were you in small claims court, you could appear.

But, in regular State or Federal Court, an attorney at law is required to represent a corporation. No exceptions.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.