FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  23 Years business & securities law, NY and FL bars. SEC all states.

Hi! I just have a quick question. I am the subject of an

Hi!

I just have a quick question. I am the subject of an assett and liability investigation and one of the things that is being investigated is if I have a business license for my online business and if it is registered with the secretary of state and if it has been registered during the entire time I have been doing business. I have my business registered with my county but it is not registered with the state and I have no license. Can you tell me why they would be investigating that and what trouble it could cause me? Thanks!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FLCORPLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Businesses operating within a state need to be incorporated within the state. The basic reason for the incorporation is to provide people with notice of the location of the resident agent of the company----that is, the person to whom a legal service of process can be directed if somebody (or the state itself) need to sue the company. Incorporate the business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the response but I didn't get my entire question answered. Can I get into any trouble for not having a business license? Also they said they were checking to see if I was bonded or insured. I don't believe I need to be but why would they check that? Thanks!

So as I understand it you have an occupational license from the county, but no incorporation with the state or other license. Whether you need another license depends on what the business is doing. Are you a doctor, real estate agent, or one of the dozens of other businesses that have to have special licenses? Do the statutes in your state for your type of business require a bond or insurance? I don't have the facts to tell you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just have a website were I resell business leads that I purchase from another lead company who generates them. My site is www.bizsourceplus.com I'm not sure if I need a license for it but didn't think I did.

I was wrong about my business being licensed in my county. What I have is a Certificate of Person Conducting Business Under an Assumed Name. So I have no business "license" anywhere. And I'm sure a business like mine doesn't require bonding or insurance.

My main concern was if I could get into trouble for not having a license because the woman told me she was investigating whether I had a business license and if I have had it the entire time I have been in business.

Thanks!

It does not sound like a business that needs a specific license. You are operating as a sole proprietor. You may want to get an occupational license from the county or city--but beware if you are operating from a residence you could be opening up a can of worms with the zoning and building dept. As for the "investigation" wait it out and see what develops.
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: 23 Years business & securities law, NY and FL bars. SEC all states.