J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

You run an ice cream shop in Seattle where many patrons sit

You run an ice cream shop in Seattle where many patrons sit in the rain, with their dogs, eat ice cream and listen to Nirvana. What legal entity would you choose to run this business?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
I would set it up as a limited liability company, which provides the tax advantages of a sole proprietorship (income only taxed once) with the liability protection of a corporation (personal assets protected from the creditors of the business).

I would choose a legal entity because any time there is food (which can become contaminated), animals (which can cause injury), or people milling about (can have an injury, particularly where it rains) there are the potential for lawsuits and I want my personal assets protected.

I don't want a corporation because I don't, apparently, intend to have investors and forming an LLC is comparitively easy and inexpensive to accomplish in a short period of time.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.