How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small company in New York, and a client in New Jersey

This answer was rated:

I have a small company in New York, and a client in New Jersey owes me roughly $80k for materials and I need to take legal action to try to get them to pay me.

This debt is severely limiting my ability to continue to do business, and I am in desperate need of counsel. Before I hire a lawyer I would like to know what I may able to do myself (go to court, what papers to file, etc.), to keep legal costs down. Please advise, as I am desperate. Thank you.

New York

You can certainly file a complaint and serve them such. You can also prepare all discovery requests.


But, since it's alot of money your talking about - I would not want to make a mistake and then have the case dismissed with prejudice and then not be able to pursue such further.


I would think that you could retain local counsel very reasonably for under a $1,000 to get matters going and potentially even through trial of the matter.


Why do you think that you even have to file in New Jersey - do you have a contract?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I thought that perhaps I would have to sue them in New Jersey since that is the state they are incorporated in.



No, you can also sue him where your business is also. When there is a breach of contract (unless the contract specifically states where jurisdiction will be if there is a dispute - a suit can be brought: 1) where the plaintiff's business is, 2) where the defendant's business is, or 3) where the contract was to be performed.


Clearly you can sue him where your business is - in your local court and in your "backyard" so to speak. That means that he has to travel to where you are - not you to where he is.


I would call around to friends and family to see if anyone knows an attorney - this could be done very inexpensively and quickly.

Law Pro and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks. I'll get on it.