Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

What is the most I can charge for interest on unpaid balances

What is the most I can charge for interest on unpaid balances for bills to our customers? Our normal policy is payment due at time of service. I would like to charge a percentage of about 12% per month on unpaid balance. Ultimately, I do not want to carry anyone's balance. Also, do I have to charge all customers the interest charge or can I charge only the people who do not normally carry a balance with us?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The usury laws in Montana have been held to only apply to the lending of money and selling persons goods or services on credit is not considered the loaning of money. Thus, you can charge whatever is "reasonable" in your industry. The courts have held that 18%-24% interest would be reasonable. As a business, you can set your terms of sale as you see fit with each customer. Thus, you can charge the customers as you see fit pursuant to your contract with them, but in order to sustain any claims against you that the charges are unreasonable you should be charging the same rates to all customers.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”