Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

HOW CAN I STOP ANOTHER BUSINESS FROM USING MY BUSINESS NAM

Customer Question

HOW CAN I STOP ANOTHER BUSINESS FROM USING MY BUSINESS NAME?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You must send them a cease and desist letter and tell them they are infringing upon your trademark rights to use the name and their use is creating a likelihood of confusion which is prohibited even under the common law trademark rights. You need to inform them of the date you first used the business name in commerce as well. If you have not registered your company name for trademark protection, you only have these limited rights to seek to have them cease using the name of your business.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”