How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37822
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to setup up an Alternative Medical Center / Clinic

This answer was rated:

I want to setup up an Alternative Medical Center / Clinic in California.

Under a Sub Chapter S corporation

Do I have to hold / be a Doctor to operate – or can the clinic employ Doctors but not be owned by a doctor?

The corporation can be owned by a person without a medical license and employ physicians. The physicians must make all decisions regarding the medical care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see you are both Fl and NY - but is this CA law too?

Yes it is. However if you would be more comfortable, I will ask a CA lawyer to review my answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if that is possible - since it is in CA that I want to set this up. - thanks
No problem. I will be back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.



My colleague asked me to look at this question. He is quite knowledgeable, however, in this instance, I must respectfully XXXXX XXXXX his answer.


Under California law, unless a medical clinic is a bona fide non-profit organization, or a certified hospital, then at least 51% of the shares must be owned by a licensed physician and surgeon. The remaining 49% may be owned by: podiatrists, psychologists, registered nurses, optometrists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, physician assistants, chiropractors, acupuncturists, or naturopathic doctors.


The number of these licensed persons cannot exceed the number of physicians and cannot exceed a combined share total of 49%. A lay (unlicensed) person cannot own any shares of a California medical corporation.


Source laws:



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37822
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions