socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

i borrowed 20,000 dollars from a friend to start a new business,

i borrowed 20,000 dollars from a friend to start a new business, i gave him 25% of stock in the new business and a co signer my sister was on the note . due to a flood where we lost virtually all our stock (merchandise) and other unusual circumstances the business failed.   i payed back approx 4000 dollars but have lost my entire investment also   i put in approx 80,000 in cash from a relative over the 8 years the business was in existance must i still pay back the balance of the loan
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If you signed a personal guarantee on the note, as your sister apparently did, then you are obligated to repay the loan regardless of your business failure. Your only recourse is to file for personal bankruptcy -- which would cause the creditor to attempt to recover from your sister -- meaning that she also would have to consider filing for personal bankruptcy.

Not the answer you were looking for, but it's only the answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.