Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

Hello. I noticed that my commercial lease isnt signed by either

Hello. I noticed that my commercial lease isn't signed by either my company or the landlord. I would like to give him 30 days notice and move to a new premises even though the lease hasn't expired. Can I do this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
Good evening,

Assuming there are no signed leases floating around (and I would look in the files very carefully) you may have a month to month tenancy.

That means that, as a general rule, the lease may be terminated after one FULL rental period's notice. In other words, if the rent is paid monthly, for notice given today the termination would be effective July 1. Had notice been given yesterday it would have been effective June 1.

Having said this, I still strongly urge that you consult a local attorney to review the situation and spell out your options so that you do not expose yourself to liability for the remaining term on the lease.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any follow up questions.