How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36195
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an LCSW (licensed clinical social worker) in California.

Customer Question

I am an LCSW (licensed clinical social worker) in California. I left an office where I worked as an independent contrator (not employee) after I discovered insurance reimbersement checks were made to my name, mailed to the office's PO Box (an address I was unaware of although I was the legal party with the insurance companies and to whom the checks were issued from insurance companies w/my business EIN). However, the independent contractor agreement was that I receive 70% and the office 30%. He took his 30%, but by illegally cashing insurance checks made in my name and EIN, leaving me with no way to show my 30% payments to his office.

In March 2009 I received form 1099-misc reporting payments to me of $60,000+, but these monies were paid to me from my own insurance reimburesment checks; = $60k more than I made.

Currently I have checks in my name (and EIN) locked in his office because he is refusing to release my checks to me, demanding I endorse them to him and he will later pay me. I need to have my property released to me. Is this theft---what can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

It seems as though everything is reversed, i.e., you should have received the checks and paid the office 30% of your revenue and then you would have sent the office a 1099 for the payments.


Anyway, the checks are yours, and his cashing them without your power of attorney is forgery and fraud, but, if you're getting what you agreed to, it's probably a no-harm, no foul, unless the IRS thinks you earned more than you actually did, due to the weird 1099/EIN reporting.


As for the checks that he is holding hostage, that is pure criminal extortion, and you can call the police.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36195
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Socrateaser, actually you confirmed what I thought; however, the police in that area are tying to pass the buck saying it is a civil matter. I will attempt to get them to move on the extortion charge. A friend also states holding my mail is a federal postal offense (theft).
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

It's pretty typical for law enforcement to avoid white collar criminal actions, because if they can get you to do discovery as part of a civil action, then the government doesn't have to spend any money investigating.


You could just tell the office manager that you'll sign the check and when he sets them in front of you, you just scoop them up and run. If you have a witness with you and he tries to stop you by force, then you have an entirely different police action: criminal assault.


Of course, I wouldn't want you to get hurt, either.


Re the mail issue, you could try the Postal Inspection Service. Nothing to lose, really.





JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions