Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I deposited a check into my savings on 3-3-2009 I waited the

Customer Question

I deposited a check into my savings on 3-3-2009 I waited the 10 days and then took the funds out and used it. Now my bank has took all that I have in savings and 722.00 dollars of checking, stating the check I deposited was not a good check.   What is my recourse on the bank. I know I will have to go to court to get funds from the owner of the check.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
The bank has a right to debit your account to satisfy the amount of the check. Your only recourse is against the person that issued the check to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I just decide to close my account
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

What good will that do at this point?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Because i have my paycheck auto. deposited into this account and they will take it

Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If there is still money due to pay the check, you definitely want to deposit your check somewhere else, or they'll do the same thing again and again until the amount is paid back.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can they take me to court, or put leans on property. I intend to make it good but would like to get it from the check owner.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

They could sue you, but it would all trickle back to the person that wrote the check. You need to sue that person in small claims court ASAP for the amount of the check and any fees/penalties the bank has added.

Make sure the bank knows what you're doing so they'll lay off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No problem.