J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

Im a sole proprietor. I have hit a stumbling block with the

I'm a sole proprietor. I have hit a stumbling block with the loss of a large client. We have fallen behind on paying some invoices as we struggle to recover. I have a collection attorney threatening me with litigation over a collection. We had come up with a time line for payment but we are having to make the second payment a fews days later than expected due to cash flow. we have already sent an initial payment on the account and will pay the balance off by the end of the month. The attorney has said we breached the contract & now is threatening litigation & is showing no flexibility. I don't know what to expect. We maid a good faith payment to show we are serious about paying the debt. He said that doesn't matter. He also hasn't sent me anything in writing to prove he's been contracted to collect this debt. I asked for proof & he said I'm using that as a way to request more time and that won't fly.
Under these conditions, where there is no representation letter submitted to prove the attorney represents the vendor, I would not hesitate to contact the vendor directly to discuss. This is particularly true where you have made a first payment and are able to pay the remaining amount within a few weeks. The vendor should be considerably more flexible than a collection attorney who is trying to justify his/her existence.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.