socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I HAVE A COMPANY AND HAVE SOME EMPLOYEE'S I PAY ON a piece rate pay. Can i supply the employees with a mandated schedule.My employees are telling me that if they get paid per piece, i can not tell them how long they have to work per day. Is this correct. MY COMPANY IS IN OHIO. The problem is that they want to work about 5-6 hours a day instead of an average work day of 8 hours. If more info is needed please let me know
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If you require the employee to be available (aka "engaged to wait" rather than "waiting to be engaged"), then you are requiring their exclusive time and you must pay them by the hour.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.