Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

Sam manufactures electric mixers. Sam has been in the business

Customer Question

Sam manufactures electric mixers. Sam has been in the business for 15 years. The mixers were originally made so that if a utensil was caught in the beater blades, the mixer would stop. XXXXX XXXXXed companies that manufactured the motor for the mixer and was not aware that the new company didn’t have that safety feature built in the mixer. Sam’s mixers were generally sold in the household market. Sarah purchased a mixer and while making cookies, her finger got between the beaters and two were cut off. Sarah sued Sam’s for the loss of her fingers. What result would you expect and why. Explain your answer.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
This appears like a clear case of the mixer being unreasonably dangerous and defective. Under your facts you can't tell which cause of action is appropriate, but it could be a failure to war, a manufacturing defect, or a design defect, or a combination. These are under a negligence cause of action. There may also be a breach of warranty or breach of contract cause of action.

Finally, depending on the facts, a strict liability cause of action may be appropriate. For a good discussion of strict liability see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_liability.

The result in this case would be that Sam would be responsible for Sarah's lost fingers.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need legal basis for this answer.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
What legal basis do you mean?