socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I have offered the IRS an offer in compromise. I recieved a

I have offered the IRS an offer in compromise. I recieved a letter stating my offer would most likely be rejected and do I wish to withdraw the offer. The amount I offered was 20% of the amount owed. Would legal council help me if I appeal? The amount they say we (2 income family) can repay is as much as my net monthly income. Please help
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

You may want to contact the rep who sent the letter and ask what they will accept. Do a little begging and pleading, etc. The withdraw letter is telling you that you're way off the mark. If you go to the appeal, then you may still be too far off, so play the game a little.

In the end, the government has all the cards, so they only will take what they legitimately think you can pay.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.