J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

What does 4.6 The time for payment of all sums due to the

What does "4.6: The time for payment of all sums due to the Company shall be of the essence of the contact."? This appears in a software development agreement with an Indian Software Development company doing business in CA. The preceding provision is "4.5: All invoices are payable immediately on issue". Thanks, Steve
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
It means that the due date for payments is an essential term of the contract and failure to meet any payment deadline would be a material breach of the contract. The contract probably also has terms that define damages, including the possibility of liquidated damages, which would be owed upon a material breach.

That language is essentially a legal way of highlighting terms and saying "this is vital".

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.