INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

I need help collecting on a deadbeat client of my consulting

Customer Question

I need help collecting on a deadbeat client of my consulting firm who owes me about $50K.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
What is your question?
what state is the debtor in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Georgia.
I have already used an attorney to generate a few letters back and forth; in one of those, he inadvertently admitted we had a contract (he did not physically sign, but did give his OK via email, and continued to use my firm's services as delineated there).

He is a deadbeat who (in my opinion) committed fraud by convincing MasterCard to take back $2500+/- we had collected - with his permission - via credit card. MCard then took the funds out of my account, until I threatened them.

The attorney I had used does M&A work; I know that retaining another attorney is an option, but I also want to know other options (BBB, D&B) which you have successfully used, and tips on how to do that. I've already chewed up $5K in legal costs. I would be thrilled to turn this over to an attorney or debt collection agency with a solid track record, but believe there are also creative options I could be taking in the meantime to start making things appropriately tough for him.
Thanks
Other options such as complaining to the BBB and state attorney general office are inferior to filing a lawsuit and securing a judgment. Consider having a lawyer do it on contingency, preferably a collections firm. see www.martindale.com
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX said, I have already been considering that, and have already consulted martindale. HOwever: 1) what is the proper category there (deb
tor/creditor? other?); and 2) what are the top 3 criteria I should look for to narrow that list? (over 100 debtor/creditor law firms in Atlanta alone)
1. debtor/creditor or litigation
2. you want to find counsel in the state and county where the defendant is located, with experience in collections (finding assets is often the hard part) and with the lowest contingency fee so you pay the least