Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Im in Georgia ( USA) I have a lease agreement, and in this

Customer Question

I'm in Georgia ( USA) I have a lease agreement, and in this lease agreement, I have the 1st option to purchase this property I am renting if it comes up for sale. I just found out, that durring my lease term ( which is still current), the owner "Sold" for the sum of $10 this property to his wife. I was never made an offer, and was never informed of this transaction. Can I force him to sell this property to me for the same amount? If not, can I persue him for breach and or any damages. He is owner financing $60K worth of equipment that is in the building in which I rent, and I currently have $20K paid to him, if he IS in breach, do I have recourse to get my money back that I have already paid to him? He served me with eviction papers today and he knows I cannot come up with the remaining $40K, therefor, I would forfit the $20K I've already paid to him right?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
While you can argue this is sale, it is likely a simulated sale and not a true sale, since it was to his wife. As far as the equipment, that is based upon your contract with him and that is separate from the lease of the property. If he is in breach of the lease that does not necessarily mean that he is in breach of your equipment lease. If the equipment lease is tied into the building lease, then you have a problem and if he is in breach you would be able to sue him to recover the money for the equipment paid to date and to terminate that equipment deal and not owe him the remainder. If you lose that suit, then you would lose your $40K.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just to clerify:

My chances of arguing the "Sale" are slim, even through it was NOT "Gifted" and a monetary exchange was made? ( I also re-looked at the Warranty Deed and it shows that the owner "Sold" it back to himself & his wife )

Also, in the Building Lease Agreement, it is stated that the Owner Financing of the Equipment "will follow along side the lease term" ( I leased the building for 5 years, and owner financed the equipment for 5 years )

If he evicts me, do I have any recourse to try and get the $20K I've paid him towards this equipment back?

Then you need to argue fraud here and that in doing this he broke the right to first refusal and that you should be entitled to the sale at that proce. However, I was saying that the court would likely say it is a simulated sale.

If it follows "along side" then it is separate from the lease and you would need to negotiate that if they are in breach of the agreement and would have to sue to get your $20K back, but this is not going to be an easy situation for you to deal with here because it will depend upon the interpretation of the sale/transfer between him and the wife by the court. At this point, you will need, especially if he is trying to evict you, to hire an attorney to review the lease and the sale and prepare your defense and your counterclaims.