socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

i currently work for a State Farm Insurance agent as a sales

i currently work for a State Farm Insurance agent as a sales marketing specialist. Next month I am going to work for a different State Farm agent. I signed a non compete agreement 10 years ago when I was hired. My current boss is tellling me that if I see a client out in the public (say the grocery store) and they ask me where I now work, I am not allowed to tell them because they may want to switch agents. I understand I can't pursue them or pursuade them to switch agents however do I really have to say "Uh, I signed a non compete clause so I cant tell you"?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A non-compete agreement under NY law is reasonable only if it: (1) is no greater than is required for the protection of the legitimate interest of the employer, (2) does not impose undue hardship on the employee, and (3) is not injurious to the public.

The idea that you cannot tell someone where you work under a non-compete is absurd. It does not protect the legitimte interests of the employer, beause the employer has no legitimate interest in throttling your right to freedom of expression under the 1st Amendment; it does impose a undue hardship on the employee, because it forces you to think about your response to every question in a social setting, and; it injures the public by restraining free expression in generl, because were such restraints common, no one could talk about anything with anyone.

Case dismissed.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.