Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law
3396227

I AM AN ARCHITECT AND HAVE BEEN SUED BY A CLIENT. I HAVE ANSWERED

I AM AN ARCHITECT AND HAVE BEEN SUED BY A CLIENT. I HAVE ANSWERED THE COMPLAINT IN PRO PER. PLAINTIFF'S ATTORNEY HAS SENT ME A REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS. DO I HAVE TO CREATE A FORMAL COURT FORMAT DOCUMENT TO RESPOND TO THIS REQUEST WHEN PROVIDING THEIR REQUEST AND DO I HAVE TO FILE THIS ANSWER WITH THE COURT?

DearCustomer- If this is just a request for documents you can deliver the documents to the attorney for the plaintiff. I would have him or her sign a receipt for the documents. There would be nothing to file with the court unless you were actually answering questions. Many courts do not require discovery to actually be filed since it creates unnecessary paperwork for the court.

You can ask the court if you need to file any responses to discovery since this varies from court to court and the local rules of the court. Sometimes the rules of procedure create the most complicated part of a case for the pro per client so it is impossible in a venue of this nature to completely provide all of the various pitfalls that can happen.

I would try to obtain from the court a copy of their local rules to be certain that you don't lose the case on some obscure local rule.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I FORGOT TO ASK ONE MORE THING. SINCE I HAVE TO DELIVER ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS CAN I BILL THEM FOR REPRODUCTION OF MY ORIGINAL ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS AND MY TIME FOR SO DOING?

No that would be your obligation to produce the documents. What you could do is take the originals to their office and simply say that you will wait while THEY make the copies. You are required to produce documents, not copy them. We lawyers love to use techniques of that nature! You can't bill your time in any case so it may be cheaper to just make the copies.

Dave