socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Concerning a wholesale transaction in California, we accept

Concerning a wholesale transaction in California, we accept payment by credit card after obtaining written permission from the cardholder (either per transaction or ongoing). Our permission form includes a statement that we add a service charge equal to 3% of the invoice amount if paying by credit card. Would our customer have any basis to bring a lawsuit against us for charging the additional amount to their credit card?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.

No. Such service charges are normal in the wholesale industry. You are taking the card as a favor to the customer and you need to recoup the fee. 3% is also a very reasonable fee and you provided notice. They have the opportunity to accept or decline. It is a contract term between merchants and the other party is bound by those terms.

If I have answered your question, an accept and positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!!

lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
As noted, our transactions are in California - the cutting edge of rights for the 'disadvantaged'. If possible, I would like to get an opinion particularly from the perspective of California law.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

I must respectfully XXXXX XXXXX my colleague on this issue.

Cal. Civil Code Section 1761(d) , defines "Consumer" as "an individual who seeks or acquires, by purchase or lease, any goods or services for personal, family, or household purposes."

And, Civil Code Section 1748.1(a) provides that "No retailer in any sales, service, or lease transaction with a consumer may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means. A retailer may, however, offer discounts for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check, or other means not involving the use of a credit card, provided that the discount is offered to all
prospective buyers."

So, based on the above, whether or not you can charge a fee depends, not upon your business purposes or operations, but rather on the purpose for which the buyer is making the purchase.

And, while you can have the purchaser sign an agreement stating that he/she is not making a consumer purchase, if it turns out that he/she is, then the customer can legally force you to return the surcharge.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)