Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am a small rental and production company in NJ. I recently

I am a small rental and production company in NJ. I recently rented some lights and console to a college school group. While in their possession, some items where stolen. To my mistake, i did not get a standard rental agreement signed by them. They claim they are not liable for replacement of the items. A police report was filed and in my possession. Are they correct they are not responsible since an agreement was not signed? Can it be thought that since its standard practice in the industry that no matter where they went they would have the same policy?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
They are liable for the loss of your property, even without a signed contract, since they were in control and possession of your property when it was lost/damaged/stolen. When you loan or lease something to someone without any written agreement, they assume liability for that item and have an obligation to return that item to you in the same or similar condition as when you lent it to them. You would have a suit against them for the value, but you need to begin by making a claim with the insurer of the college where the property was located when stolen and then if you get nowhere, you would sue the college group and the college under the theory that the college is liable for groups they sponsor or endorse.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”