socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am a 50% owner is LLC business. In May of 2008, my partner

I am a 50% owner is LLC business. In May of 2008, my partner and I decided we couldn't work together and we decided to dissolve out partnership. We had numerous meetings to negotiate a fair price for her buying my 50%. I was stalled to 9 months -she stating she didn't have the $. She closed out business acount and opened on with her name only, renewed the lease without me and changed the locks once she felt the pressure of an upcoming ultimatum. I have now received a letter from her paralegal stating I have no right to anything since I abandoned the business. Is there any merit to this claim?

When she closed the account, if any money was transferred to her separate account, that would have been crminal embezzlement, civil conversion and breach of fiduciary.

If she wanted to start a new business and renew the lease without you, that's a breach of loyalty and if you're injured you can sue for that, too.

You mention that you received a letter from "her paralegal." If your partnr is a lawyer, then that's okay, otherwise this paralegal is practicing law without a license and you can sue the paralegal for fraud -- or, just call the State Bar of Washington and report the paralegal.

There is no merit to the claim that you abandoned the business. That's like saying you have no claim to your wallet just because one half of the contents belongs to your partner. Totally frivolous argument.

As far as your incurring legal fees to deal with this, I have no solution, but you can get them back from your partner, assuming that he/she has any money to pay with.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.