Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Debt and Collections question I just received a summon

Debt and Collections question: I just received a summons from an attorney's office on behalf of a oil company that I owe $1400.00. Due to hardship and the being the sole provider in my household, I could not pay the bill. My questions are: 1)Should I try to resolve this issue with the attorney and make an payment now of $300 or $400 and pay the rest in monthly installments of $40 or should I write the court and explain my situation? 2)Has this suit already affected my credit rating and 3) will this interfere with my employment which is an investment bank/brokage firm?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You can consider contacting the attorney and working out a payment plan. The attorney may want you agree to a consent judgment as a condition of the payment plan. The purpose of the consent judgment is to assure your payment of the debt without the attorney needing to refile in the event of a default.

It may have already effected your credit. It simply depends on whether the oil company reports to the credit reporting agencies.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I be concern about question #3
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
3) will this interfere with my employment which is an investment bank/brokage firm?

Sorry I missed that question. Typically it would not affect your employment. However it is possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.