David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

I am a commissioned salesman, N.Y. state. I have no contract

Customer Question

I am a commissioned salesman, N.Y. state. I have no contract with my new owner for the last 16 years. He has deducted commissions for sales which our customer defaulted due to bankruptcy and customer error. can I reclaim any of this
Category: Business Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
I think you have two issues here. First, regarding the commissions for customers who have defaulted for whatever reason, I think you are out of luck. The company has no obligation to pay you for sales it was not paid for.

Second, as for the company pulling accounts to handle large jobs and then returning the account to you, that is a more difficult issue. Does your contract with this company address how accounts are assigned and how or when the accounts can be pulled from you? Depending on the terms of your contract with this company, you may have a claim against the company for the commission you would have earned for the transactions. I suggest you have your contract reviewed by a business attorney to determine if you have a claim for unpaid commissions.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.