I have a contract with a security alarm monitering company

I have a contract with a security alarm monitering company in CA called SSD Systems.   We just realized the contract was for 5 years and in small print says it renews automatically in 5 year increments. It was signed in Oct. 2001. The agrement names our corporation, not the owner of the property. We are canceling as our lease is expired and we are vacating. They insist we are obligated to pay thru 2011 even though the original contract is dated 2001.   My admin asst signed as Ofc Mgr. and has no authority to obligate this corop to financial contracts. How can a contract last beyond a tenancy and aren't they supposed to request Articles of Corp to see who can authorize contract signing? Is it enforceable?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
It is enforceable per its terms and per apparent authority of the person signing. You could seek to sue asking the court to deem it void based on small print and lack of authority but as mentioned above, likely wont prevail and it would be expensive. Consider negotiating to be released by offering a partial payment.