David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

Im starting a online dropship business What tax law do I did

I'm starting a online dropship business What tax law do I did to know about as far as sells tax
Category: Business Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hi. I would like to help you. What state are you in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to know about sales tax laws I need to know about when dealing with out of state and out of country buyers also do I need to register my bussines with the state and or federal officals? I will selling on Ebay and other web based sites as a drop shipper I have no partners
You use the term "dropship". Are you shipping products that someone else has sold, and the seller is using you as the supplier and shipper, or are you the actual seller?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm from wisconsin I am selling the product on line on sites like eBay .com and my own web site for suppiers to ship This called drop ship sales i handle the orders and collect the payment I do not hadle the product
If an online retailer has a physical presence in a particular state, such as a store, business office, or warehouse, it must collect sales tax from customers in that state. If a business does not have a physical presence in a state, it is not required to collect sales tax for sales into that state. This rule is derived from aXXXXX Quill Corp. v. North Dakota (91-0194), 504 U.S. 298 (1992), decision which held that mail-order merchants did not need to collect sales taxes for sales into states where they did not have a physical presence.

So, you will need to collect sales taxes for any sales to people in Wisconsin, but no other state.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.