Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I was asked to sign a contract for an investment plan. I could

I was asked to sign a contract for an investment plan. I could not pay the license fee all at once so I was told to make some changes in the contract, one to make it lifetime instead of annual, and two splitting the fee and paying the balance 90 days after the investment position is funded. Am I not supposed to get a signed, accepted copy of the "counter offer"? Words were crossed out, phrases were added. I have no proof that the official counter offer was accepted other than their taking money out of a credit account. I do not trust these people any more. Is there some rule for acceptance of a counter offer?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
You should get a copy of the contract, but if you don't it doesn't void the contract unless that was specifically set out in the document. The only real rule for a counter offer is that when a counter offer is made it is deemed a rejection of the original offer. The counter offer would have been complete as a contract upon you signing and them taking money from your account.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.