socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Hello. I had an account with $30K in cash in it and got into

Hello. I had an account with $30K in cash in it and got into 100 puts for $1K. In the last seconds of the day it plummeted came into the money by $1.20, but quickly moved to the strike price after hours. Because of this, my broker exercised all of the puts to put me in a short position of $2.3 Million on Saturday. On Monday the market gapped up and I was wiped out and then some. My question is can they even give me so much leverage? Though self directed, I was incorrectly advised when calling the broker that exercise wasn't necessary and I would receive a cash settlement, and again told to I had insufficient assets to exercise and the puts would be worthless. The broker says it doesn't matter as there was nothing to be done, but I could have tried to get a loan to either fund the account or buy calls and wait for a better time. The position would have been profitable just a week later.

If you agreed to the short position, then you gambled and lost. If your broker made the second trade without your permission, then that's a theft/conversion and you can contact a private lawyer and sue or go to arbitration.

I don't know how long you've been trading, but the sort of thing you're describing is extremely typical in the commodity and forex markets. Traders prey on "investors" who don't have sufficient resources to stay in a position if it goes against them. They literally wait for the trades to come through and then they push the bid and ask until the investor is wiped out and has to liquidate.

All perfectly legal, and a total scam, simultaneously. Been going on for at least the last 50 years.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.