INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

I have a customer for who has been with me for10 years who

Customer Question

I have a customer for who has been with me for10 years who is a psychologist that buys my newsletter in his capacity as a federal employee, prison psychologist. I spoke with him a year or two ago about sending a letter to the other 180 prison psychologists with the Bureau of Prisons and encouraging them to also use my products with my company. He was the only one. There was no problem, except he asked to see the letter first. A year later I sent a letter, but did not show him the letter. It only said that two other prison locations use my products and the locations were X and Y. The psychologist's "Name of Psychologist", suggested I contact you." That's it. Now I am worried about being sued for "using his name" in the letter. I am terribly frightened.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You should have obtained his consent. You should seek to get it now and consider offering to share some profits with him to satisfy his concerns.   
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What kind of damages might I incur. I am afraid to contact him and make it worse. Nothing was not factual in the letter. Could this make it worse for me?

He could pursue a claim for misappropriaton and use of his name. You could also wait. He may not pursue or find out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is really pissed off. He would NEVER, EVER accept profits or give me "post permission" and he cancelled his subscriptions. That's okay. What kind of $$ damages could be awarded for something is small. I am a sole proprieter with more debt than assets.
You would be judgment proof then and he would not recover. I also dont see the injury to him.