Ask GWarren For Business & Nonprofits...
GWarren For Business & Nonprofits
GWarren For Business & Nonprofits, Attorney
Experience:  30 yrs Counsel, AVP Corp Governance Fortune 100 finance/ins, Nonprofit Bds, law firm. OH NJ license

how do you set up a poultry farm and what do you need and whats

how do you set up a poultry farm and what do you need and whats the lay out of a poultry farm
Category: Business Law
Expert:  GWarren For Business & Nonprofits replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting justanswer.

Due to regulations and the potential for zoning restrictions if you will advise us as to the state/location we may be able to provide more specific information.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Basically what i need is what do you need to set up a poultry farm. What kind of equipments would i need and how would i set it up from A to z.

Thank You

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Basically what I need is what do you need to set up a pourltry farm. what kind of equipments do you need and what's the lay out of a pourlty farm. I want to know A to Z on how to set up a pourltry farm.

Thank you

Thank you for your deposit and reply. You will need to identify whether your primary focus will be on egg production or the sale of chickens themselves. I can offer the following information that should be helpful:

The US Egg and Poultry Association can be a significant resource covering all aspects of a poultry farm and providing seminars, contacts, technical assistance:

First, you may find it beneficial to consider a form of corporation to protect you personally both financially and from activity liabilities related to the poultry farm. There have been instances of nuisance complaints from neighbors and the potential for food issues related to the raising of chickens (flies, contamination). Typically an S Corporation or Limited Liability Company (LLC) would work to provide that protection so that you and your personal assets are not at risk. You would need to sign everything (feed orders, supplies and other related contracts to the farm in the name of the company with you signing "by and on behalf of the company."

SCORE, Counselors to America's Small Business through has 10,000 volunteers to provide a free business consulting and set up, some of whom have such farms. SCORE can help you with your business plan to set up the poultry farm to make it appropriate and hopefully profitable. There may also be SCORE volunteers to provide free face to face or online counseling. SCORE may be able to help you with pricing of your poultry products (eggs, chickens). You will need to build into your plan rates of mortality and expected yields.

If you have a local or state farm bureau association or grange, their resources and assistance can be valuable. The amount of advance effort will depend in part on how large you intend the initial poultry farm to be.

Your local insurance agent or broker can also be a source in a farm community to help identify set up and help you connect with other poultry farmers who may be willing to assist you.

Following is a checklist:

Acquisition and location of the farm location in a properly zoned area for poultry farming
Breed of chickens you will raise need to be identified
Business plan for the Farm
Financing availability for location, modifications and chickens, and supplies
Equipment such as incubators will be needed, check with your local farm supply for assistance and set up guidance or go online for suppliers
Reputable suppliers of chickens that are healthy and of good stock
Research poultry farms through a local public library and online sources provided
Sanitary conditions need to be address to ensure proper feeding and clean-up
Veterinary arrangements to care for the poultry

The following include links to A to Z start-up ideas that are available in the public domain and appear to be informative, however, I cannot specifically endorse them:

Start up poultry farm business plan:

Start up BizHub how to start a poultry farm or chicken business:

This should be a good start for you to pursue your goal of set up a poultry farm. If you would like further clarification, please let me know.
As a further assist to your efforts following appears to bean excellent beginners guide to poultry farming provided by the Alabama Egg & Poultry Association. It discusses layout, facilities, husbandry issues, financing and many other topics:

These answers should be helpful to your efforts, however, I want to make certain that I have been responsive to your question.