INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

I have leased a space in a marketplace,( flower shop)I have

Customer Question

I have leased a space in a marketplace,( flower shop)I have a two year lease, I have one year left. When I moved in I had 3 partners, but three shops out of 13 closed and my partners left the company.The Marketplace is not taking off and we have very little foot traffic. The owner also owns the fruit stand as well as one of the other stands he took over when the tenant could not pay rent. On the lease we all signed they had attached a personal liabilty on it. I have not recieved a new or adjusted lease since my partners left. I would really like to leave. The owner of the marketplace is currently in litagation with several other tenants. How could I get out of the lease ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.

You would only be able to do so by negotiating with the landlord. A landlord would be more amenable if you bring in a new tenant, preferably at higher rent

also, if you offer to forfeit the deposit, landlord usuallu more amenable.

Finally, if landlord has breached the lease in some manner, you can use that as bargaining leverage. check also if lease permits you to end it on notice.