Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My landlord stole 1/3 of my store, made an illegal studio,

My landlord stole 1/3 of my store, made an illegal studio, didn't give me anything in return, I have constant floods in the basement and now I'm mice infested. He refuses to talk to me or take my calls, as he hired a woman to collect his rents for the 5-6 buildings he owns. I'd like to sue, but never got a lease, and so, he'd be glad to get rid of me-since ethe rent is inexpensive. Thank You.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If you don't have a lease, you're a month to month tenant. Thus, either of you can cancel the tenancy with 30 days notice. However, you've got the right to a reasonable space for rent, and if you're not getting that, you can sue or withhold rent. If the landlord cancels the lease because you complain, you can sue him for his retaliatory actions, which is illegal.

Here is the retaliation statute link:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was looking for miracles, perhaps, when I mentioned "I had no Lease" and obviously no leg to stand on, in court. I appreciate the answer, but wasn't told anything new or that I didn't know. "If the lanlord cancels the lease" does not apply-I'm here 5 years, and never had a lease. And yes, I will still pay the $20 ...

Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
I believe the statute does give you relief, particularly 223(b)(a).