socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I work for a public company in FL and we did a sponsorship

Customer Question

I work for a public company in FL and we did a sponsorship deal with another public company last year where they pay us a large fee each year. A part of the deal is making the partner company the exclusive vendor in a certain product category for our company and our commitment to buy their products. We did not specify any "minimum" in the official contract that was signed and executed, but during the negotiation process my company provided (in writing) what the historical purchases have been. It turned out that these numbers were overstated significantly and our company knew about the mistake before the contract was signed but did not tell the potential partner company. Now, a year later, the partner company is only realizing about half the B2B sales they expected and they are very upset. Did my company commit fraud? Can the partner company sue us if they find out we knew the estimated sales were overstated and we did not tell them the truth before contract was signed?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Based on the posted facts, your company made false representation of a material fact concerning the historical purchases, intended to induce justifiable detrimental reliance from the partner company, and the partner company was damaged as a consequence.

And, that is the common law definition of civil fraud.

Your acts don't disclose the extent of the damages caused, and it would be somewhat dependent upon the respective benefits and burdens of the two companies to the deal. Nevertheless, the partner company could demand reliance damages, which would be what the partner would have received had your company's assertions been true. And, that amount could be substantial.

Also, for a proved fraud, punitive damages are available, so that could add to the return. And, since this is contract fraud, the partner company could get attorney's fees, assuming that they are called for in the contract.

So, this could end up being a rather expensive litigation.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.