dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney
Experience:  JD degree, business owner
5930486

My husband has a judgement against him for a business debt

My husband has a judgement against him for a business debt and I have been subpoenaed to " answer concerning property of the judgement debtor in my possession or control. Am I responsible for his business debt - we live in California
Category: Business Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You must produce those documents, because a subpoena is a court order. You could be held in contempt for not following the subpoena. You don't want to let that happen.

They are trying to find out whether you are holding property that is actually your husbands or is marital property in which case they could attach it as per the judgment.

Many times a person who is in debt will sign everything over to someone else so it looks as if they have nothing. The creditor, I'm sure, want to see if that happened here.